Script to Screen • Random Pieces a starting point

For this project I have been given three random things. A person, a place and an object.
We are needed to write a story, create the script, a storyboard, an animatic and a Previsualization in Maya with a soundtrack.

I got a Pilot, an Observatory and a Painting.

So I have been thinking of ways this could work out as all need to be significant enough that they cannot be substituted.

So I've had three ideas already and one has stuck.

The first was to have the character watching planes from their bed and looking at a paining he made as a child, which causes a flashback of how the child wanted to be a painter and how the parents thought it wasnt a real job and so he became a pilot.

The second the character looks at a painting and has a flashback of himself looking outside as the planes are going past, he wants to be a pilot, we zoom out to see someone painting the scene before us and we cut back to the pilot as he smiles to himself and prepares to take flight.

The third, the one I am leaning towards is much like the second but came to me after I was sketching and got this image
The idea now is that its a cycle thorough the Pilots life, from young hopeful child, to his teenage years, where he is studying hard, to his completed goal as an adult, preparing to take off taking one last look out his observatory window.

The next scene was the environment without him.

The very next he is back much older with a very young girl, his daughter or granddaughter, he was showing her the view.

The last scene is of the girl much older, presumably young teens looking out of the same window, as she turns to walk away she crosses the painting of the man as a young child, the exact same scene we saw at the beginning.

Possible thoughts I have to expand on this idea is have the girl and the painting at the begining and have a family member tell the tale of her (grand/)father.
Of how the young man had dreams and how he chased them endlessly.

That there is a paining of your (grand/)father, He was a great man.
When he was much younger he had dreams of flying



possible questions to look into is:
  • where the painting is?
  • why the girl is looking at the painting?
  • why is she asking questions?
  • How should the story go?
  • Will I have time in the 2 minutes to show him struggle and almost give up a few times?
I can make this relatable, as students struggle.
I have only had the experience as an artist but I have witnessed others, and it is a fact that all students struggle to achieve their goals.
A nurse needs to learn about the body, they are not allowed to make mistakes and it is a tough time.
An artist has to make mistakes to learn how to improve.
But I am certain most people have reached a point where they feel like giving up.
A point they can no longer go on.

I want to focus on this point.
I want to show that this point is not the end, and how simple things like a painting or a note from the past that shows the wishes of the character and how much they wanted it can spark that dream once more.
This is something I have experienced myself, a point where I was ready to give up on dreams but I found a note from years ago expressing my love for drawing, how I wanted to animate.
it reminded me that I had forgotten the joys of my craft.

Comments