Minor • Start

This is the start of my Minor Project.
I have decided to continue from my Premise Project, which I submitted back in May, in which I presented it as an animatic and making-of book.
I have also decided to change the name from Another Life, to Squid and Friends for now.
This book is of significance as I need it to continue the character's creation, especially as a starting point as I may need to redesign them a little.
The squid seems done just needs a little refinement, the rest need a lot more refinement and maybe an overhaul.
The striders having long legs is something I'm going to keep, the same with the multimouth's multiple mouths, but I may rearrange placement and body shape a little.
Making them fit into the environment might require some more concept art.

The Chubby Squid itself has already had a model made but this will be redone, with a few clear goals in mind, the motion and how it will appear as a low poly model and a high poly model.
The model that already exists is more of a high poly model especially with details like the 'ears', in a lower poly model this could be cut down to a plane with opacity maps, I would need to plan further if this is a course of action.
My main goal here is to produce models of at least 4 creatures with both high poly and low poly versions, with rigs and a little animation to show how they may move and a turnaround.

I aim to create high-quality textures, including opacity maps, emission maps, normal maps and/or bump maps.
I also aim to create a turn around, and animations like a walk cycle or swim cycle based on the creature that is involved. Each of these rendered with different passes, fully rendered, AO, wireframe, and maybe a version of AO without any extra details from the texture maps.
Each model will be fully rigged, including squash and stretch where appropriate.
Each model will also be viewable on sketchfab, but the animations I create are, if they go as planned, to be added to my showreel to show what I can create and move.
This task will test my character design, character modelling, character rigging, texturing, and character animation abilities.


Low Poly

When you look up low poly models it seems like two variants pop up.
A stylistic choice and game models.

Stylisitic, this one is more clearly angular and can feature a lot of tirangles, the images below seem to be more paintings than the best depiction of it in modelling.
but if these were to be created into models they would not quite be low poly, there would be lots of angular bits as we'd expect from a low poly model but with the fox in particular there'd be a lot of pyramids in the mesh increasing the poly count.

Rottweiler: https://www.creativefabrica.com/product/rottweiler-low-poly/
Fox: https://99designs.co.uk/blog/tips/the-secrets-to-successful-geometric-low-poly-art/

Games though require both detail and memory, so game models are low poly to save space and use texture maps to get in detail. 
above images from https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/low-poly-3d-graphic-design-trend


I'm taking the game approach, low poly for space-saving, they should look similar but not the exact same as their high poly counterpart. 
More of the Lower poly models detail should be in its textures.
High/Mid/Low Poly Trees: https://www.domestika.org/en/courses/568-low-poly-set-modeling-for-video-games/units/3017-basic-fundamentals/lessons/9865-what-is-low-poly
A rip of the Alice model from American Mcgees Alice (2000): https://www.deviantart.com/oo-fil-oo/art/MCGEE-S-ALICE-330328479

Paper Sculpture: https://www.toolfarm.com/news/midweek-motivation-zbrush-low-poly-zbrush-models-used-for-paper-craft/
Granted this last one is made of paper by Xavier Dabrowski but the design was digital and portrays a Low Poly model

Comments