Jetpack Jones • Head Tutorials 1 to 3

I have managed to start working on Jetpack Jones.
The current point I'm at is after the third tutorial, I will try to post one every third tutorial or when I feel there is enough to write about the current state of the project.



I can see some strange shaping above his eyes and the cheeks, and a little bit of the back of the head is not quite so smooth, which are things I will need to fix up.

The one above is my third attempt
The first, lead to something I didn't know how to fix, it wasn't too far in so I just restarted instead of spending ages looking online for a fix. If I was further in the model I would have looked to find a solution as it may have just been something simple.



The second had a weird shape and between there and where I am now, I restarted here because I got myself lost and thought it was best to restart.

Which leads to our current version that I'm happy with, other than a few adjustments which I can make.

I have found a few things confusing as I had learnt modelling before but it was a slightly different method.
One consisted of making a flat mask and bringing that out into 3d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QT1GNMevfc&feature=youtu.be

and the other made the rough shape with vertexes and edges and then added the eye mask and then slowly connected them together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHzpdihbfA&list=PLvgIVNDU-Dxjb3eukDF5W0l0-6ShO9OiM&index=8

Granted it was a different program but that was how I modelled this character, Dr Jekll, whos sheet I found on DeviantArt. https://www.deviantart.com/catbatart/art/Dr-Jekyll-2D-Orthographic-196105444

I've probably said it before, but I think the best way to learn is to practice.

So once I'm much farther in the Jetpack Jones project, in any free time I have I will be working on a more monstrous but still humanoid design or the same one I have above, that again I found the model sheet online for.
I will try to figure out which technique is best for me to work with, but of course I will be working with Alans technique for now.

Comments