Jetpack Jones • Skinning 1 to 3

Skinning, the term I mix up the most, I think of this as rigging but that's not what it is, its building the skeleton.

This spine I've been told is a ribbon spine, from the look of it its clear why.

There was a small error with my parenting, it happened three times, all in different file attempts.
the error being one the right, my rotations inversed. but only in one axis the rest were fine.
As this seemed like a consistent error I just used an expression to fix it, if this happens again in the future at least I have a solution.

After the spine was created the rest of the skeleton was needed.
First getting the skeleton in place, seeing that the connections work nicely.
then was adding another little expression to adjust how the arms and legs would turn.

After this was a rough bind to the model
Something I've picked up in the past was binding it moving the bones and seeing what moves.
In Maya, this seems to also be possible as long as the skin is bound first and then adjusted, if the bones are moved then bound it will always have that offset.

Next for this model is smoothing out the weights and adding deformers.

In my last post of Jetpack Jones a while ago I mentioned the UVs playing up.

It turns out, after a little looking into it and a little help from Tom, that it's my processor and Maya playing up, the way to sort this is to either ask someone else to unwrap the head for me or open up blender to unwrap the UVs there, which involves exporting as an .fbx.

These are the new UVs, I relaid them all out.






Comments