Wicker Works • Idealizing a Demo Reel

~Warning~

This video and its subsequent animation is a little depressing, as it covers death and a few other dark topics.
Granted the Above is a Making of video, but I believe it has features of a good demo reel.
The music is similar to the theme and it features the many processes they had to go through to get to their final animation, called The Backwater Gospel.

'3d style experiment' as they have labelled it and the breakdown following it, I find interesting.
This is roughly 44 seconds in, showing a rotation of the model from their pitch and then how their textures went together to make the characters head.

About 3 and a half minutes in, it shows the models, the main two and their facial features, before showing a few background characters and how one of their facial rigs worked.

5 minutes in it starts showing the props, all rotating slowly and one in motion.
this shows off the models quite nicely, as its not just one angle.

This is followed by how they did their compositing, showing a little of the scene before building it up from just the background to its fully composited scene.

Watching this before joining the course it seemed much like magic.

Looking further I found their 'Studio Reel', which is what a Demo Reel could be like, being about a minute long, and showing off their animation.
Unfortunately, it seems youtube copyright took the audio out at some points as it starts with some music and ends with some but silence in between.
It starts with their studio name shown for about two seconds, then straight into the work, with their name and website at the end for about 5 seconds.

This timing seems a little off to me, even though their name is simple, Wicker Works.
Something I remember hearing in the past is you should leave something on screen to be able to be read at least three times.
When I create my own Demo reel I think I'll take the parts I've pointed out from the making of video.
Specifically, the character breakdown, depending on what characters I end up modelling.
The facial rigs seems like it should typically be in a demo reel, especially if someone wanted to go into rigging.

Comments