Another Life • Model Chubby squid V1

 Although the submission has passed, I've continued work on the Chubby Squids model.


So far sculpting the rough shape, adding the head fins and tentacles.

Their eyes I think will be unlike humans, with a visible lid but be a simple oval able to adjust its shape, appearing much like the ones in Steward from Animation mentor.

Image from their site


Above are three screenshots of their model, the first open eyes, the second closed eyes the third wide-open eyes.
This is a simple variation of what I would like to apply to my squid.
I want more expression, so I'll need to experiment with blend shapes, that is if my computer will allow me to as it seemed to dislike using pose space reformers for Jetpack Jones.



So far the model is in quite a few pieces, 11 in total.
Each tentacle, the body, and eyes.

I thought I could combine them by rigging but I think it might look a little off, so I'll need to decide how to combine these tentacles to the body without much clipping as that is the current solution for how they're attached, but motion will quickly loosen this illusion.

With the current form I think I will need to add more geometry to the blobby body, but I don't want the mesh to become too dense and also keep this desired roundness.
It's possible the solution could be adding a little lump where these tentacles originate from to help build up the geometry for them.

The tentacles with no cup at the end will need to be more tapered and the cups need to be a little thinner.

The head I am quite happy with as is, the fins seem fine and they attached nicely with small adjustments to the head.

In general, I hope to get this down to about 3 total pieces of geometry, the eyes and body.
Once attached I will reskin the body's UVs and redo the textures keeping close to my last variant, although that is pretty much obsolete as it was projected onto half the model and mirrored exactly with the UVs flipped and not how I want the final model to be represented.

Comments

Post a Comment