Animator Research • Don Hertzfeldt

Hertzfeldt is probably best known by most for his guest animation for the Simpsons intro from series 26 episode 1.


 Most of his animations are traditional.
The first of his works that I saw was a film called ‘REJECTED’ its about 9 minutes long and was made in 2000.
It had a black background behind white paper on which the main animation was on. At the end of this animation the animated world begins to ‘fall apart’ this is when the background is visible as the paper is ripped up and wrinkled.
the only colours were black white and red, all lines stand out, and when the red is used you can see how it was applied to the page.

I think a black and white animation is rather simple, as applying more colour might be a little tedious and more time consuming, but I also think that the difference between black and white is the contrast can be a strain on the eyes, but this may only be if the lines are thin.
When I tried to animate before I used a grey background with red for my sketches, as I found this a little easier to look at than pure black and white.
This may just be the way I prefer to work though.

Comments