Lighting & Rendering • Displacement Maps

 

A Displacement map takes a simple mesh and helps move it around.
This Dinosaur has a Displacement map, the black and white version.

Base Mesh
Smoothed Mesh
The Displacement Map
The Displacement map when opened in photoshop somehow came out red but it still worked on the model, it is supposed to be black and white.

Error
This error occurred to having the displacement too high.
Final

This Toadstool has a Vector displacement map, this one is a lot more colourful, as it has more data.
Starting Mesh

The Vector Map
Final
I had a few problems getting Mudbox to work but I have had a little play with it, the dino one I made a few marks to look like scarring as a little practice with the program.

A model I made a few years ago would have benefitted greatly from either of these displacement maps, as it ended up being very high poly and was a pain on my system to render.
I unfortunately don't have a picture of it at hand.

Comments